Monday, September 21, 2009

Father of Dad

A number of men call themselves fathers, but are they really dads? Fathers can come and go, but real dads do far more while standing the test of time. Too, often children are forced to live without both parents at home. Starting life without a nurturing family structure can sometimes leave scars that never heal. Knowing of this pain first hand, I understand how it feels. It takes nothing to give birth to a child, but it takes a real dad, to raise one.


“As a father, you may have brought me into this world, but have you earned the right to be called Dad?”


I saw my father daily…well, most days, up until age twelve, so having that fatherly void all of a sudden seem very strange. Not knowing the reason he decided to leave, it seemed best in some ways that he was gone … all the same. There was no more fear that he would hurt my mom, or spank my little brother for eating his pie. We were better off without him, isn’t that a shame… all the same.


Father, you may see me from time to time and think you know me. However, my Dad knows my likes and dislikes, my father came by to get his mail, my Dad made me lunch for school, my father dropped off $20.00 for us to eat, my dad, dressed me, my Father saw me on my way to church, my dad sat at the dinner table and said grace with me. I had a fight with some boys, as my father stood by and shouted hit him again, my dad saw me having a problem and he came to correct the situation. Most kids can tell the different between a father and dad. I ask you my brother… who shall you be a Father or a Dad?

1 comment:

  1. This is very good and an important lesson. I am proud my father is a dad. And my son is a dad to his son. It is such a wonderful position to be in! Mounding a young life! But I agree it is a challenge and not everyone is up to the task. There should be dad classes.

    ReplyDelete