Thursday, September 17, 2009

Educate Your Kids!

Let’s talk about schooling, as you may know, I was a high school dropout. However, when my wife asked me, “What are you going to say when your son asks if you graduated?” That was a question that I didn’t want to have an excuse for… I completed Mountain View Evening High School in 1978... six years after I initially dropped out. I then acquired an Associate Degree followed by a Bachelors’ of Business Administration from Saint Leo’s University. So yes! School is very important. We should do all we can to inspirer our kids to read, and do math and develop an interest in school…NOT just for sports. Sitting around the house here in Phoenix, I have had the chance to watch my oldest grand-daughter learn not only how to write, but to read as well. She has developed a natural enjoyment for learning. My thoughts have always been that you as a parent should do what you can to develop an interest in what your child becomes interested in.

Tiger Woods started playing golf at the age of three with his father… now I am not saying you should start pushing your kid into a sport, but you should be testing their level of interest in different things to start developing some form of career interest. The question is not “what do you want to be when you grow up”… it’s going to be “what have you learned growing up?’ Knowing what I know now, your kids need to develop some computer skills, teach them about space, biology, natural sciences. Higher levels of reading and math are keys to the 22 Century. The candidate of the future will have more than average computer skills, will maintain a passion for reading and have outstanding math skills.

So, if you’re not focusing on this now, STOP!!! Take that XBOX control out of that kid’s hands and throw it to the floor. If you’re lucky, it WILL break. In hindsight, this will be the best day of your kid’s life. Because the kid that can pick the controller up off the floor and fix it will be the one to put your money on…invest in his/her future. But if they look at you and start to cry tell them to go get a job! Just joking!

But, child development in Education is no joke, take the lead, show your kids the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment